Thursday, April 05, 2007

Darryl Stingley

April 5th is sad day for all fans of football: Darryl Stingley has died due to complications associated with quadriplegia.

"In my decision to stop coaching, Darryl's situation was a factor. Not the only factor, but a factor. During the weeks he was in Eden Hospital, not many people seemed to care enough. That's when I started wondering if football people really care about a player, or if football people just care what a player does."

~ John Madden. Hey, Wait a Minute (I Wrote a Book). p 5

"When the reality of Stingley's injury hit me with its full impact, I was shattered. To think that my tackle broke another man's neck and killed his future... well, I know it hurts Darryl. It hurts me too.

I didn't know if I ever wanted to play football again. It was constantly on my mind and tearing at my insides. My body felt like a hollow shell that no longer belonged to me."


~ Jack Tatum, They Call Me Assassin. p 224

"I am deeply saddened by the death of Darryl Stingley. Darryl will be forever remembered for his strength and courage. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family."

~ Jack Tatum

Rest in peace, Darryl. And know that we Raider fans cared then, and we care now.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Stick'em said...

Here is the actual play.

Please do not watch it if you are squeamish and do not wish to see a man get critically injured.

But if you want the truth, here it is. Tatum's shot on Stingley was a clean, legal hit with very tragic consequences.

April 06, 2007 4:23 PM  
Blogger Raider Raza said...

Hey Stick Em,
Thanks for posting the link.

I think it clearly shows that it was a clean hit and legal hit.
The quarterback should feel just as bad if not worse that Tatum, because he hung the ball high and set him up.

It's a shame it ended his career.

On another note, few people mention or realize that after NE flew back to NE, it was Madden that stayed with him at the hospital.

April 16, 2007 12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am great fan of football. So it is a sad day for me. I really feel sorry for Darryl Stingley. He is great player. He will be always in the heart of the football fans. His soul should rest in peace. We have loosed the great player in history.

July 26, 2008 6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home